Notice of the 2019 XMU Nanqiang Young Scholars Forum
Xiamen University (XMU) was founded by the patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee in 1921. XMU is a high-standard university on the State’s “211 Project” and “985 Project”, included into the State’s list of Category A institutions for building world-class universities. Two collaborative innovation centers established by XMU in partnership with other universities have been accredited for inclusion into the State’s “2011 Program”. XMU is in the top ranks of Chinese universities in terms of the Nature index and is ranked by ESI among the global top 1% in 15 subjects. Moreover, XMU was one of China’s first 20 universities with government-granted autonomy in conferring academic degrees.
Upon its inception, XMU set building a “global university” as its goal and embarked on a relentless quest for scholastic excellence. Its enduring heritage and proud traditions inspire its faculty and students to strive for excellence. Committed to the notions that “faculty is of paramount importance” and “faculty should be treated with the utmost sincerity and rewarded with generous renumeration”, XMU has drawn high-caliber faculty from around the world. Many eminent scholars, including Lu Xun, Lu Jiaxi, Wang Ya’nan and Chen Jingrun, once worked or studied at XMU. Over the past 98 years, XMU has developed into a high-standard research university of international repute, offering a comprehensive range of programs and recognized for its cutting-edge research.
A beautiful, inclusive and sustainable coastal city, Xiamen welcomes guests from all continents. XMU is looking forward to welcoming distinguished young scholars from around the world to Xiamen, a city dubbed “the Garden on the City” for its enchanting scenery and pleasant climate.
I. Forum Program
The Nanqiang Young Scholars Forum will take place from April 10 through April 12, 2019 on the XMU campus. The forum will consist of one main forum and multiple discipline-specific sub-forums.
April 10: Participant arrivals
April 11 (AM): Opening ceremony
April 11 (PM): Academic symposia on the sub-forums
April 12: Academic symposia and colloquia on the sub-forums
II. Eligibility Requirements
1. Applicants should hold themselves to the highest standard of personal and academic integrity.
2. Applicants should hold a PhD degree in natural sciences or engineering and be no more than 40 years of age, or hold a PhD degree in the humanities or social sciences and be no more than 45 years of age.
3. Applicants should have the potential to establish themselves as the leaders in their chosen research areas and should have demonstrated their ability to conduct innovative research and to contribute to the academic leadership of XMU.
1. Applicants should register through XMU’s online registration system at http://sb.ss06.net/OQLEQXx before March 1, 2019.
2. XMU will review applicants’ eligibility and issue invitations to successful applicants by email before March 15, 2019.
IV. Participation Subsidies
XMU will provide food and accommodation for all invited participants and reimburse participants for the expenses of travel to and from Xiamen (up to RMB 12,000 and RMB 5,000 per person for scholars from abroad and at home, respectively).
V. Contact Info
Talent Service Division, Human Resources Office, Xiamen University
Contact: Yipeng Lan, Congkui Ye
Official WeChat Account: XMU HR Talent